вторник, 7 августа 2012 г.

Some new stuff - online Master's

I am currently working on an entirely new thing for myself, that is I have joined a Master's programe in Global Marketing online.

There is a long and sad story with my higher education, which has stretched far too long. Well, anyway, here is my story.

I finished my BA in Sociology in my home city of St. Petersburg in 2009 and wanted a Master's ever since. I rejected sociology right away, took a look at the language studies, but finally decided to take up business. So in september 2010 I won a scolarship for the Master's in International Business at the St. Petersburg State Univercity's Graduate School of Management (GSOM). It is a great school for Russia, member of CEMS and PIM. Shortly, I got dropped after the first semester. Reasons, well...

First of all they told us not to work at all during study. Easier said then done. My mom, who runs the business I still work for said "no + 2 hours of brain washing about responsibility". So I decided to live in a mode of "full time study + work", which proved just great. My week looked somewhat like this:

Monday: Study 9-00-18:45
Tuesday: Study 9-00-13-30, work 14-30-21-00
Wednesday: Work 10-00 - 13-00, Study 13-40-18-45
Thirsday: Study 9-00-10-30, Work 11-30-20-00
Friday: Study 10-45 - 17-30
Saturday: Study 9-00 - 13-00, Work 14-00-18-00

The timetable varied from time to time, but generally looked close to this. The strangest thing was that I did actually manage my studies till November quite well, staying in the middle and catching top grades in the more humanitarian disciplines. The Russian system is built around a symester, ending in exam sessions. From mid-november to December 29th we had 12 exam sessions, which effectively sum up each of the courses, studied during the semester. The rule is simple. 3 failed exams mean automatic expulsion. To the honor of the institution, I found no back door. Hell, I did search! I failed:
- French (Spent the night before the exam at work till 23-30, the exam was at 9-00).
- Statistics (as I went to the exam test, the road was blocked for half an hour to pass an official's cortege). I came 30 minutes late, they just gave me the paper and tooked it not a second later than the deadline.  The corect course of action for this case would have been: hit my head against a wall, go to the clinic, get the paperwork certifying the injury's time and date, go th the univercity the next day and file for late submission. The rules are the rules.
- Corporate finance. I am just dumb at international corporate finance.

I am very anxious about my Master's degree, which I have taken online at the univercity of Liverpool. I hope it goes be

2 комментария:

stacyann.hayles комментирует...

Well I can't read Russian but I hope I'm doing this right. You invited me on Twitter so I came to check it out.

I understand that must have been rough. I also failed a course in school because I gave in a doctor's note but it was from the psychologist, not a general practitioner so it didn't count.

Unknown комментирует...

You are welcome! I don't post in Russian in this blog, so it is English-only =) Well, now it's my second week at UoL online and it is going well...